All students, staff and registered users with a valid UL ID card are allowed to borrow material from the library.
Check My Library Account to find out what you have on loan. After you have signed in, click on your name on the top right hand corner of the screen to see the link for "My Library Account".
*Note: PhD and Masters students should use their student ID and password to sign into to "My Library Account" to view their loans.
- Use Library Search to see if the item is available in the library.
- Note the shelfmark and then go to the shelves to locate the book.
- More heavily used print items are mainly ‘not for loan’ and must be consulted in the library only. Some can be loaned for 7 days.
- When you find the book you are looking for, use the self-service machines on the ground floor of library to take the item out on loan.
- Please check out our wide selection of e-books too. Follow the link from the item record if available.
- You must maintain your Library Account in good stead in order to use the self-issue machines
You cannot use this service if:
- You have exceeded your borrowing allowance.
- You have overdue items.
|No. of Items||Loan Duration*|
|Undergraduates||10 Books||28 Days|
|Postgraduates||20 Books||28 Days|
* Please note: If you are unable to return a book or need to keep the item for longer than the standard loan period, your loan will automatically renew for up to 365 days. See Automatic Renewals section below for further details.
Nonetheless, the Library encourages you to return item(s) that you have read or no longer need as soon as possible, to maintain the circulation and re-use of library material.
If you are unable to return a book or need to keep the item for longer than the standard loan period, your loan will automatically renew for up to 365 days, except in cases where:
a) Another student or staff member has recalled the book, in which case you will receive an email letting you know and that the item must be returned within 7 days
b) The book has been out on loan to you for more than 365 days
c) Your staff or student record has expired
-Students with registration questions should contact: Student Hub Online
-Staff members can renew their ID card by contacting HR at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Despite the ease of Automatic Renewals, the Library encourages you to return item(s) that you have read or no longer need as soon as possible, to maintain the circulation and re-use of library material.
Automatic Renewals mainly take place on items from the Main Library (and the ARC). This covers the vast majority of library materials.
Automatic Renewals do not cover the following items:
- Special Collections (not for loan)
- Laptop Loans (4hrs loan – in library)
- Theses (3hrs loan – in library)
- Some 7 day loans
- Interlibrary Loans (3 weeks - varies)
- Reference Material (not for loan)
You may return books on a drop & go basis at the library entrance or use the book returns machine in the library located on the ground floor
- If a book is on loan, you can put a request on it, if there are no other copies of the book available to borrow. You can also put a request on a book that is located in the ARC
- You must log into My Library Account to put an request on an item
- Once you login and locate the book you want, click on the request button & enter the relevant details.
- You will receive an email message to your UL email account when the item has been returned.
- You will have 5 days from receipt of this email to collect the item.
- The item can be collected from a trolley near the information desk/iZone on the ground floor of the library - (Ask at the desk if you have difficulty finding the trolley)
- The order of the item on the shelf is determined by the FIRST 3 LETTERS OF YOUR SURNAME AND THEN THE LAST 4 DIGITS OF YOUR ID NUMBER e.g. COR6789. Check for these details on the orange slip.
- To borrow the item, please use the self-service machines
Cancel a Request
You can cancel a request by logging into My Library Account, once logged in you will see a requests tab, click on this tab to view or cancel a request.
The Glucksman Library no longer charges fines on overdue items except for laptop loans.
However, you may not borrow if you have an overdue item. This will normally not happen until after 365 days due to automatic renewals. You will receive several notices before and when the item becomes overdue.
If after a further 28 days the item is not returned, it will be declared as a lost loan and you will be charged a replacement fee. If the item is returned the replacement fee will be automatically removed.
Occasionally the item you are looking for can’t be found on the shelf. When this happens, there are a few options.
- Check Library Search to see if the item is out on loan to someone else - you will see a due date given if that is the case
- Re-check the shelves again after a few hours or the next day. Another reader may have been using the item within the Library or it may be in the process of being re-shelved.
- Contact the library via the Ask Us service
- The Library will make every attempt to find a print item; this may take a few days. If the item is not essential, we suggest you consider an alternative title(s) at or nearby the same shelf location or from the library’s extensive e-resources.
- Please check out our wide selection of e-books too. Follow the link from the item record if available
- You may be able to get an item via our Interlibrary Loans service – which can source or assist you in obtaining books/journal articles that are not held directly by the Glucksman Library
- You may use our Recommend a book service to suggest a book you think the library should buy