The Faculty's mission is to be a bold, distinctive, inclusive and internationally recognised Faculty of Science and Engineering, known for its scholarship, innovative education, and integrated research. The Faculty of Science & Engineering (S&E) is a vibrant faculty supporting over 4500 students who are supported by 450 faculty and staff. In choosing University of Limerick you will benefit from our achievements, awards and accreditations, such as:
Network of Excellence
We have a truly international reach through our network of over 4,011 research collaborations across 130 countries and an Alumni of 120,000 worldwide. 20% of the University student body are international students from 100+ countries and 30% of the student population take part in international placements.
Awards and Accolades
- QS World Rankings Top 500 and 5 Star Status.
- Times Higher Education Impact Rankings Top 100.
- GreenMetric 23rd in the world.
The Impact Rankings
- University of Limerick # 86
- SDG8: Decent Work and Economic Growth ranked joint 31st. Top ranking Irish university.
- SDG 10: Reduced inequalities ranked 25th.
- SDG17: Partnership for the Goals ranked 45th. Top ranked university in Ireland.
- QS Graduate Employability Rankings Top 200
- Top 75 Universities in Europe for Excellence in Teaching and Learning
- The Education Awards – 1st for Excellence, 1st Best Student Campus, 1st Student Engagement & Communications.
Why choose the faculty of Science and Engineering programmes:
We deliver over 30 academic degree programmes in Computing, Design, Engineering, Mathematics and Science, aimed to develop our students into Leaders for a sustainable future.
The Faculty of Science & Engineering have many programmes in Science, Engineering and Design which are accredited by Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Bodies (PSRB) such as; Royal Institute of Architects Ireland, Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) , IChemE, Engineers Ireland, Chartered Institute of Buildings (CIOB) and Institution of Engineering Designers. Our accreditations are a signal of quality from international independent peers and are a guarantee that you will receive a top quality internationally recognised degree or masters.
We offer exceptional taught and research postgraduate programmes at Graduate Diploma, Master Degree and Structured PhD levels.
We operate three learning support centres that offer one-to-one support to students, with drop-in centres and supervised study areas.
We have extensive research capabilities that are best represented by our research institutes, centres and groups which combine academic excellence and application in meeting industrial and social needs.
We have over 500 PhD researchers and continues to provide research opportunities at doctoral and post-doctoral levels.
We conduct a Special Maths Exam to enable students to meet the mathematics entry requirements for S&E undergraduate courses.